The popularity of Green Tea is not Unknown anymore. Accelerating Weight loss, Slowing Insulin spikes, Protecting Heart Health, and Treating Acne are some of the health benefits gained by drinking green tea. It is very important to choose premium green tea and brew to get the health benefits along with better taste. Unfortunately, most of the green tea available in the supermarkets are average or below average in the quality. This article will give you an idea about the Best Green Tea available in India. Most of the Green Tea mentioned are available easily online or in organic stores in India.
Points to keep in mind while buying Green Tea
1.Origin of the Green Tea Leaves
The average Shelf Life of green tea is only Six months. Unfortunately, the manufacturing date mentioned on the packs tells the date on which the green tea leaves are packed but not the date they got plucked from the plant. It requires 12- 24 weeks to reach the leaves from garden to consumer. More middlemen involved more time is required to reach the consumer and more nutrient loss from the leaves.
It is better to choose from the closest producer as the time taken by the leaves from the farm to your kitchen shelf will be less. Prefer the green tea leaves which require less or no middlemen to reach you. With the development of e-commerce, it is very easy to get them directly from farms. Prefer Green Tea leaves which can directly reach you from the farm.
2. Colour of the green tea Leaves
Fresh and Pure green tea leaves will look green in color as they undergo less oxidation compared to Black Tea. Do not but green tea leaves which are Brown or Black.
Green color leaves signify the chlorophyll content in the leaves is intact. The smell of the fresh leaves will be grassy. The tea brew from authentic green leaves is Olive green in color not in brown or red.
3. Go Organic
Prefer green leaves from organically grown Camellia Sinensis plant to avoid risks associated with Harsh Pesticides and improper cultivation techniques.
4. Avoid Green Tea Bags
Always prefer loose green leaves over tea bags. Teabags contain more processed green tea leaves than whole loose leaves pack. It also has rejects of leaves like twigs and fine dust powder etc. Also, the flavor of the whole green leaves is superior to the tea bags.
5. The Polyphenol Content
The star nutrient in green tea leaves is its polyphonic content, EGCG ( EpigalloCatechin – Gallate). It is the reason behind green tea for Fat loss, good hair & skin, healthy heart, etc. Green Tea leaves with good EGCG are always best for consumption.
6. Check Lead Levels
Check lead levels present in the green tea leaves pack. Excess of lead will be toxic to our bodies.
Please check the nutritional content of Green Tea Leaves on the pack. Check for the below-mentioned nutrients on the pack.
|Anti oxidants||Quercetin, Linolic Acid, Carotenoids, Catechin (EGCG)|
|Bio Active Compounds||Amino Acids, Enzymes, Chlorophyll|
|Minerals||Magnesium, Manganese, Calcium, Zinc & Copper|
|Phytochemical||Polyphenols and Flavanoids|
Now, we know the parameters required for buying or choosing the best green tea leaves. So, this article will focus on the Best loose Green Tea Leaves pack available in India.
Before knowing the Best Green Tea available in India, Understand its health benefits, when to take, how to take, and its side effects.
1.Best Green Tea In India 1: JARVED GREEN TEA
- Organic and delivered to the doorstep straight from the farm.
- Available in stores and on an e-commerce store.
- Exquisite green tea leaves from Assam and Darjeeling, India.
- Finer details are mentioned on the pack: Date of picking, The season, Certification, and Batch number.
- Different flavors are available.
- Vacuum Packing which keeps the leaves fresh and prevents from oxidation with time.
- Expensive, Price is ranging from 299- 599/- per 100 grams.
Customer Reviews :
- Great Flavour & Aroma.
- Good Packaging.
2. Best Green Tea In India 2: Tea Box Darjeeling Green Tea
- Green Tea Leaves are made by a process called “Fixing” where the leaves are heated immediately after Plucking to ensure minimum oxidation.
- All the leaves are picked, Processed and Packed from a single estate.
- Different Flavours of Green Tea are available.
- Grown and made in Darjeeling.
- Slightly Expensive, Price ranges from 399-649 /- per 100 grams.
- Not Available in general stores.
Customer Reviews :
- Good Packing.
- Great Flavour and Aroma.
3. Best Green Tea In India 3: Assamica Agro Green Tea
- Organic and Handmade.
- Harvested and Processed in Assam.
- Delivered to the doorstep from farms.
- Practice Vriksayurveda Organic Farming techniques to Cultivate Tea plants.
- Encourage the local economy by improving rural people’s livelihood.
- Certified under National Programme for Organic Production (NPOP).
- Expensive. Price ranges from 329- 599/- per 100 grams.
- Not Available in stores.
- Great eco-friendly Packaging.
- Good Aroma
- Authentic Flavour.
- Refreshing and Rejuvenating.
4. Best Green Tea In India 4: The Indian Chai
- Many varieties are available, most popular Slimming Green Tea & Turmeric spice herbal green tea.
- Available in Organic stores.
- Not directly from the farm and many middlemen are involved before it reaches the store shelf.
- Expensive, Prices range from 350/- to 450/- per 100 grams.
- Great Customer Reviews for weightless and authentic flavor.
5. Best Green Tea In India 5: Vahdams Himalayan Green Tea
- Straight from tea gardens to your Door.
- Tea Gardens are in Darjeeling, West Bengal.
- Organic and Handmade.
- Harvested from the garden and packed in Delhi Facility before delivering it to your door.
- Into Green Tea business from 80 years.
- Climate Neutral and Plastic Neutral Facilities.
- Organic USDA certified.
- Not available in general stores.
- Expensive, price ranging from 315 -400 /- per 100 grams.
- Great for detox and rejuvenation.
- Great eco-friendly packing.
6. Best Green Tea In India 6: Tea Raja Green Tea
- Organic and Handmade.
- Direct from Farms.
- Many Varieties and flavors are available.
- Temperature controlled Warehouses and Cold storage facility.
- Tea is procured within 24-72 hours of picking.
- Express Shipping all over India is available.
- Not available in shops.
- Expensive, price range from 399- 599/- per 100 grams.
- Great Vacuum Packaging.
- Good taste and aroma.
- Takes a little longer time to deliver compared to other teas.
7. Best Green Tea In India 7: Tea Monk Global Green Tea Kadha Leaves( for immunity)
- Organic and Handmade.
- Straight from exclusive tea estates.
- Available in many varieties and flavors.
- Intense Iterative Process ensures good aroma and flavor in the tea.
- Tea is rolled skilfully by artisans.
- Not Easily Available.
- Expensive, Price ranges from 390 – 450/- per 100 grams.
- Not directly from Tea farms, many middlemen are involved.
- Great Aroma
- Tea Colour and the taste is stable even after 5 months of purchase.
8. Best Green Tea In India 8: Organic India Green Tea
- Easily Available in all the general stores.
- Affordable, 230/100 grams.
- All the teas are infused with Tulasi.
- The Source of the green tea is not known.
- No great Packaging.
- Complains about Infestation.
9. Best Green Tea In India 9: First Bud Organic ( Slim Bud) Green Tea
- Farm Fresh is delivered directly to the doorstep.
- Many Varieties are available.
- Available on e-commerce platforms.
- All teas are infused.
- Expensive, price ranges from 390- 550/- per 100 grams.
- Not available easily in general stores.
- Complaints on not giving the effects as claimed.
- Very Strong Flavour.
10. Best Green Tea In India 10: Numi Organic Tea
- Nice eco-friendly Packing.
- Authentic Aroma and Flavour.
- Very Expensive, 3,499 per 450 grams.
- Not available in 100 grams pack.
- Great for gifting friends and family who love Green Tea.
11. Best Green Tea In India 11: Lipton Loose Green Tea
- Affordable, 210 /- for 250 grams.
- Multiple Flavours.
- Easily Available in the stores.
- Added Sugars are present.
- Duplicate products are available.
- Lack of information about Source and the process of harvest and packing.
- Mixed Reviews.
- Bitter and weird taste.
12. Best Green Tea In India 12: 24 Letter Mantra Green Tea
- Easily Available in Indian Stores.
- Minimal and safe food processing.
- Certified for Integrity and quality of the product.
- Affordable, price is 170/- per 100 grams
- No information on Harvest Time and other details.
- Allergen Advice : Packed in a facility that also handles Wheat, Peanut, Soy, Mustard, Sesame, Treenuts, Barley and Dairy.
- Bitter Taste.
What about Commonly available Green Tea available in stores in India?
Lipton Green Tea bags, Twining Green Tea Bags, Typhoo Green Tea bags, Taj Mahal green tea bags are most commonly available in India. They are available in many flavors like lemon ginger, Tulsi, Jasmine, etc. But, Green Tea Bags are not recommended due to the compromised Nutritional Content and Quality of the product. Moreover, the paper used for tea bags is not good for our health as well as the environment.
How important is Green Tea?
No doubt, that Green Tea is a healthy beverage compared to Coffee and Aerated Drinks. But, Green Tea is not a Miracle Drink that can fix Obesity, Immunity, Diabetes, High Cholesterol, and Skin Problems. You cannot achieve your goal by sipping a cup of green tea in the morning and having Samosa in the evening. You still need a Balanced & Sustainable Diet, Proper Hydration, Better Sleep and Regular Exercise to fix your health issues.
2 -3 Cups ( 80-100 ml) of Green Tea is enough per day to be on the safer side and gain benefits out of it.
Mother Earth has blessed us with many vegetables and fruits to fulfill our nutritional requirements. Fruits, Vegetables and whole grains are filled with many potential anti oxidants. If you are someone who does not like or cannot have green tea it is completely fine!! You can have homemade Herbal Teas, Indian Masala Chai, and Indian Kadak Chai. Get authentic ingredients and make your tea at home and sip guilt-free.
If you love or want to try Green Tea in India, do try above mentioned 12 best green tea available in India, to get the authentic taste and health benefits.