Let me begin this blog with an important disclaimer that I am NOT an expert in this category. I am just like one of you, trying hard to reduce the plastic load in my life for the past year. “Struggle” is the word when you think of avoiding plastic in your life. We don’t even realize that how have we become completely dependent on plastic for every single action in our life. Plastic is everywhere and we are aware of the negative impact of it on the environment, ecology and most importantly on our health.
No matter how stressful the journey is, if you are determined at least for the sake of your health, then things are not that difficult also.
Where to start?
You can not get rid of plastic overnight. It is impossible. It is a process and it will take time. Take baby steps to reduce this unwanted and much- needed load. Your journey should start with your kitchen. If you can keep your kitchen free from plastic- consider more than half a battle is won.
1. Let’s start with water. Replace your all plastic bottles with either stainless steel or glass or even with earthen pots. This step is a must doing step. There are multiple studies showing how BPA leaches out from the plastic water bottle and enhance BPA load in our body.
2. Replace your food storage containers or serving utensils – plates, bowl, cutlery from plastic to glass/steel/ ceramic/ brass/ clay pot whatever you feel convenient. You need to be careful so that raw or cooked food should not come in contact with plastic. Heating food in plastic containers is the most damaging. Heat accelerates the leaching process of plastic and makes the situation worst.
3. Stop using plastic disposable plates, cups, spoons etc. No matter how cute, cheap or useful they are. Ask for a proper cup while having tea/coffee outside. Even coffee shops give take away cups which has a plastic lining inside. Be cautious about that too. Either ask for a proper cup or if you want for a takeaway option, carry your cup instead. No, it will not look odd- trust me. Remember, plastic cups not only harm you but also increase non-biodegradable waste on our planet.
4. Start saying NO to the plastic bag of any size. Have you ever counted how many small plastic bags we pick to keep individual food items while doing our weekly grocery shopping? Even if you carry a big cloth bag, we end up getting multiple such small plastics. Avoid this. Get big cloth bag along with small cloth pouches to keep the shopping hassle-free. Don’t worry you will find small cloth pouches in the market. Just look for it.
5. Stop using a plastic straw. If you are reading this that means you have grown up. Do you really think you need a straw for your drink? Just start using your mouth instead. If you are really a straw fan then use a bamboo/metal straw. Yes, they are available. Check for it.
What will I get?
Are following these tips too much of work for you? Are you thinking “why”? Well, you know “why”. Multiple studies have proved how plastic(no matter with or without BPA) is acting like a slow poison and constantly challenging our hormonal balance and immunity leading to develop thyroid issues, heart disease, diabetes, PCOD, infertility, obesity, prostate and breast cancer and what not.
All that you can do is minimizing the chance factors to prevent or cure such epidemics.
Lastly, it feels great when you do something nice for you as well as for your planet. Just get rid of plastic and enjoy life.