Good morning is a myth these days. I mean, where is time to enjoy the morning? The moment you are awake, the “works to do list” starts poking you. Then there are extremely busy days when cooking a healthy breakfast is just sheer luxury. If lack of time is pushing your health goal back-seat, all you need is an easy no cooking formula to keep you and your family on track. Oats are healthy and overnight oats recipes are the health saviors. The formula will help you to make various tasty oats breakfast recipe spending absolutely zero or maximum of 5 minutes in the busy morning.
The formula of overnight oats breakfast recipe
Minimum ingredients, nominal preparation, no cooking time yet healthy breakfast is the USP of this formula. Variation in the ingredients as per the season, personal choice and availability help to many recipes with different taste and flavor.
List of ingredients & their required amounts for oats breakfast recipe
1. Rolled oats (preferably the thick variety) – 30 -40 gm ( approx 2-3 tablespoons)
2. Seeds -pumpkin seeds/ melon seeds/ chia seeds/flax seeds/ sesame seeds (any one or mixture as per availability) – in total 10 gm (approx 2 teaspoons)
3. Nuts and dry fruits -raisin/apricot/dates and cashew/almond/walnut -( any one or mixture as per availability) – in total 10 gm (approx 2 teaspoons)
4. Milk/ curd (preferably full-fat milk after separating the fat at home after boiling) or water – 200 ml (approx 1 medium cup)
5. Spice powder- cinnamon/cardamom/nutmeg (any one) – 1-2 pinch
6. Seasonal fruit- banana/mango/papaya/jackfruit/grapes (anyone) – one or few pieces
7. Glass Jar
Overnight oats breakfast recipe – Method
1. Take a clean glass jar 2. Keep 2-3 tablespoons of rolled oats at the base of the jar
3. Add 1-2 teaspoons of dry fruits & nuts as the next layer
4. Add 1-2 teaspoons of seeds as the middle layer
5. Chop any fruit as per the season and your choice
6. Place the chopped fruits on the middle layer
7. Pour the milk or curd or water from the top
8. Sprinkle the spice powder on the top
9. Close the lid
10. Keep the jar in the refrigerator overnight
11. Next morning, take out the jar and mix all the ingredient using a spoon
12. Serve cold or hot as per your choice
Try combining different spice, fruits, seeds, and nuts to bring “N” no of variety in this dish. The easiest combination with which you can never go wrong is mixing rolled oats, banana, cinnamon, raisin, almonds, melon seeds with milk. It is yummy. Trust me.
Smoothie is another overnight oats recipe that you must try and kids love it !!
If you can spare 2-3 minutes in the morning then take this combination to the next level making a smoothie out of it. Just blend the overnight mixture for a few seconds in a mixer. A jar of healthy smoothie is definitely going to make your day better.
As per my personal experience, a smoothie is an easy oats breakfast recipe for kids any day. Just remember the hassle of feeding kids in the morning especially when the school bus is honking downstairs.
Benefits of this overnight oats breakfast recipe
The benefits of this recipe lie in the ingredients and the preparation technique.
1. Rolled oats are less processed and therefore contain complex carbohydrate, dietary fiber which helped you to keep full for a longer period of time. 2. Seeds, nuts and dry fruits are an excellent source of protein, good fat and micronutrient
3. Indian spices are famous for their medicinal properties. Yes, even if a pinch of it is enough to bring the goodness.
4. Getting good quality milk is a challenge these days. If you manage to get that, milk is still rank at the top for its nutritional benefits. The curd is a wonderful natural probiotic. Including good quality, the curd is going to pay you way more than any commercial probiotic shot.
5. If you are lactose intolerant, then add water instead of milk.
6. Choose fruit mindfully. Fruit sugar adds the sweetness to any recipe, therefore most of the combination using this formula work well without adding extra sugar.
7. Soaking the mixture overnight makes the nutrients of each ingredient go free from their bind state. Therefore the bioavailability of nutrients improved.
5. Combination of ingredients -rolled oats, nuts, seeds, dry fruits, milk and spices make this dish finally a balanced and healthy breakfast option for everybody.
What is wrong with cornflakes or muesli or instant noodles/pasta/oats?
Commercial cornflakes, muesli, instant noodles/pasta or even instant oats are the handy option for breakfast especially when you have no time to cook. But have you ever checked the back of their packet? Sugar is good but food companies use loads of processed sugar, salt, chemicals, and preservatives to make their product addictive to consumers. There is nothing natural and nutritious remain in their final product. Therefore instead of banking on food factories, start trusting your hand. There is no problem with homemade breakfast cereals or ragi drink or sattu water. In fact, that could be another option for a busy morning.
This oats breakfast recipe is going to be health savior on your busiest day. Invest just five minutes making a variety of overnight oats recipe. The best part is, this formula does not even require cooking. So even if you are not a great cook, you can still make an attempt. Try using this formula to make smoothie especially for kids. So what are you waiting for? Pick your ingredients, combine and enjoy a bright, healthy morning with your family.
Follow us on Facebook https://m.facebook.com/wellnessmunch/?ref=bookmarks
Follow us on Instagram https://instagram.com/soma.b.chakrabarty?utm_source=ig_profile_share&igshid=1tnlrvuxcv9be