Jackfruit and its seeds are tasty, nutritious, and popular fruit of our country, especially in southern and eastern India. The jackfruit tree bears fruit twice a year, regular season is March to June and sometimes in the offseason – October to December. The most amazing thing is we can preserve Jackfruit seeds throughout the year. We can include nutritious jackfruit seeds in various cuisines to gain many health benefits. Fresh Jack fruit seeds contain around 65% of water, which makes it perishable quickly. Using appropriate preservation methods, these seeds can be preserved at home. Jackfruit seeds can be made into flour and preserved for a long time with little effort and less cost. (1)
Why to preserve the jackfruit seeds?
1.Jackfruit seeds are a powerhouse of nutrients.
2.Jack fruit seeds are low in calorie. They low fat, high fibre, and mineral-rich.
3. Jackfruit seeds are rich in many antioxidants and vitamins.
4. In Ayurveda and Naturopathy Jackfruit seeds hold special status due to its medicinal properties. They are good option for people suffering with Diabetes mellitus, Obesity (overweight persons), Cardiac ailments, Constipation, Gluten intolerance ,Poor immunity, Frequent infections and Undernutrition.
5. Jackfruit seeds and its flour are pocket friendly and a great taste maker.
Knowing the benefits of Jackfruit seeds, I am sure everyone who is reading this article will include Jackfruit seeds in their cuisine. When you can relish them offseason as well by preserving them then why not ?? The highly nutritious and tasty jack fruits are often wasted due to spoilage or ignorance regarding its nutritive value. (2)
Let us learn various methods to preserve Jackfruit seeds.
How to preserve jackfruit seeds in your home?
The jack seeds can be preserved for a long time by two methods :
- Preservation of whole Jackfruit seeds.
- Preservation of Jackfruit seed powder.
Methods for Preservation of whole Jackfruit seeds
- Preservation of Sun-dried whole seeds at room temperature.
- Preservation of frozen whole seeds in the refrigerator
(a) Preservation of whole jackfruit seeds by Sun-drying
Method of Preservation
- Take the ripe and matured seeds out of the fruits, discard the fruit tissue attached to it and clean them with water.
- Remove the water by pressing them between the folds of dry & clean cloth.
- Spread them in a single layer over the tray and keep the tray under the Sun.
- Sun-drying for two days is adequate to preserve the seeds for the next 2 weeks.
- You should keep the sun-dried seeds at room temperature in a cool & dry place.
- It is the easiest method to preserve the jackfruit seeds for a short time.
- It is a very cheap method with no investment of money.
- Sun-dried seeds can be stored at room temperature.
- Sun-dried seeds cannot be preserved for a long time.
- The development of green or black mould growth over the surface of the seeds makes the seeds spoiled and inedible to human beings.
- You can use sun-dried jackfruit seeds in any type of vegetarian and non-vegetarian recipes.
(b) Preservation of whole Jackfruit seeds by refrigerator
Method of Preservation
- Boil the sun-dried jack fruit seeds in the pressure cooker for 10 minutes.
- Cool the seeds, discard extra water, keep them in the freezer.
- You may keep the seeds without peeling the seeds, or you may remove the seed coat, cut them into pieces, and keep them in the freezer. It is completely your personal choice.
- The seeds preserved in this way can be kept for 3 to 4 months without any deterioration of the quality.
- Seasonally available tasteful, nutritious jackfruit seeds can be available in the offseason.
- It can be preserved in good condition for 4-5 months.
- The domestic refrigerator is needed. It can not be stored at room temperature.
- You should thaw seeds before utilizing it in your favorite recipes. After thawing it can be used in any recipes.
Methods of Preservation of Jackfruit seed Flour
Method of Preservation
- Boil the sun-dried jackfruit seeds, cool it, remove the peels, and cut them into small pieces.
- Dry Roast the seeds on a tawa at low to a moderate flame. Don’t add any oil during roasting.
- Cool the roasted seeds and make a fine flour from them in the grinder.
- Collect the seed powder in a clean, dry container. Keep the container in a cool and dry place.
- The Jackfruit seed powder can be kept at room temperature for 6 months, without any deterioration.
- You may peel the brown-colored inner coat of seeds to prepare white powder. If you do not like to remove the brown seed coat, a slightly brownish seed flour is obtained.
- It is a low-cost, easy method.
- It does not require refrigeration; the flour can be stored at room temperature.
- Roasting has to be done carefully without letting the seeds to get burnt.
- Roasted seeds have to finely powdered. Overall this process is time-consuming.
- It is gluten-free flour. It can be mixed with atta (whole wheat flour) or maida (refined wheat flour) to prepare chapati or puri. It will increase the nutritional value of the recipe.
- It can be used in the cake batter to prepare jackfruit seed cakes.
- It can be a key ingredient in home-made desserts and sweets.
Nutritive value of wheat flour vs. jackfruit flour (with a brown coat and without brown coat)
Scientific studies confirm the nutritive value of jackfruit seed flour which indicates that-
- Jack fruit seeds flour is a better source of protein, compared to wheat flour. So, it can be mixed with wheat flour to increase the protein content of wheat products like chapati, puri, cakes, etc.
- The calorie values of jackfruit seeds calculated from their macronutrient content indicated that the energy content of wheat flour (355 Kcal /100g) is almost similar to that of seed flour with a brown coat (360 Kcal /100g) but higher than the seed flour without a brown coat (324 Kcal /100g).
- The fibre content of Jackfruit seed flours (with and without brown coat) is higher than the wheat flour. So, seed flour is a good choice of food for those suffering from diabetes, cardiac ailments, or constipation.
- Jackfruit seeds flour contains a lesser amount of carbohydrate than the wheat flour.
The seed flour with a brown coat contains more protein, fat, Total minerals, and dietary fibre than the seed flour without a brown coat. On the contrary, the carbohydrate content of seed flour without a brown coat is higher than that with a brown coat.
- Compared to wheat flour, seeds flours are a better source of minerals.
|Nutrients||Wheat flour||Jackfruit seed flour with brown seed coat||Jackfruit seed flour without brown seed coat|
|Energy value (Calculated)||342.76+ 12.6= 355.36||323.52+36.72=360.24||293.48+30.33=323.81|
Table-4: Composition of jackfruit seeds flour with comparison to wheat flour (2)
How to Use of Jackfruit seed flour healthy recipes?
- Chapati with jackfruit seed flour
You can add Jackfruit seed flour in your chapati or puri. Using 3 parts of wheat flour and 1 part of seed flour is ideal to increase the nutritional value and taste of chapati or puri (3).
- Health drinks using Jackfruit seeds powder
Boil milk, add a 2 teaspoon of Jackfruit seed powder, and a teaspoon of sugar. Mix well to avoid the formation of any granules. Add a pinch of cardamom powder. Mix and serve the health drink to your kids or elderly persons in your family.
- Jackfruit seed cakes
Prepare cake batter using a half cup of maida (refined wheat flour), half cup of jackfruit seed flour, half cup of powdered sugar, half cup of sunflower oil, and 2 whipped eggs. Mix well to get a smooth batter. Wrap a butter paper inside a pressure cooker, pour the cake batter, spread some dry fruits over it. Bake the cake in a pressure cooker for 40 minutes at low flame.