Cauliflower leaves are dark green colored, abundantly available in the vegetable market during winter. These leaves are an excellent source of iron but highly underutilized in a regular diet. The problem is it’s seasonal. It needs to be stored well. Try this cauliflower leaves recipe to prevent and cure anemia for at least 6 months.
Honestly, I was also unaware of its potential until this leaf become a part of my Ph.D. research. Later once I moved to Odisha, I was thrilled to see bundles of cauliflower leaves in a tribal market selling for Rs 5/-. It clearly shows how important it is to stay close to nature.
Cauliflower leaves recipe to cure and prevent anemia–
Since cauliflower is a seasonal vegetable, good quality fresh cauliflower greens are only available during winter. Moreover, due to very high moisture content (80%), it gets spoilt within a day at room temperature. Even keeping the greens in the refrigerator, the freshness is lost within a couple of days.
Save – Store – Mix – Consume to cure and prevent anemia
All you need is to dry the good quality cauliflower leaves, make a fine powder and keep them in your stock for future use.
Comparison of cauliflower leaves with other common greens
|Nutrient||Cauliflower leaves||Spinach||Amaranth (tender)||Lettuce||Coriender|
|Dietary fiber (g)||2.0||0.6||1.0||0.5||1.2|
Reference – Nutritive value of Indian foods, NIN, 2016
Fresh cauliflower leaves can be preserved by sun-drying, shade-drying or microwave drying method. Which one to follow? The choice is yours.
Steps of Preparing Cauliflower Leaf Powder:
Step 1: Collect fresh cauliflower leaves from the local market at free of cost.
Step 2: Select the good quality leaves
Step 3: Wash the leaves 3-4 times with clean, running tap water
Step 4: Remove the excess water from clean leaves by spreading them on a dry, clean cloth
Step 5: Drying of the fresh leaves by sun-drying, shade-drying or microwave drying methods
- Sun-drying: Leaves should be spread over in a single layer over a dry, clean cloth and kept under the sun for 3 days.
- Shade-drying: The fresh cauliflower leaves should be spread over a dry, clean cloth and kept in a well-ventilated, clean room for 4 days and dried adequately.
- Microwave-drying: The fresh clean leaves are to be dried in the microwave oven at 1400C for 18 minutes
Step 6: Whatever the method of drying you follow, the leaves should be dried until the crisp, brittle dry leaves are obtained.
Step 7: The dry leaves are then ground into a fine powder using a grinder, and the powder should be collected in a dry bowl and cooled.
Step 8: When the cauliflower powder is cooled, it should be transferred into an air-tight glass jar and is to be stored in a cool and dry place (2)
Still confused? Which method to follow? Check the table below –
Comparison of the three drying methods
|Time required||3 days||4 days||18 minutes|
|Apparatus used||No apparatus||No apparatus||Microwave oven|
|Electricity||Not required||Not required||Required|
|Sunlight|| Adequate sunlight |
is essential for three
|Not required||Not required|
|Space|| Adequate sunlight |
space is required.
space is required.
| No extra space |
| Cost of |
|Zero cost.||Zero cost.|| This is a |
|Risk of |
| Risk of spoilage |
| Risk of spoilage |
is high, particularly
adequate sunlight is
| There is no risk |
of spoilage of
As traditional methods of drying like sun drying or shade drying are tried and tested for the past many decades, I feel these are the best method to choose from.
Now, you are aware enough, regarding the pros and cons of different drying methods and the facilities available in your home, so considering all aspect you can decide which method is appropriate for you.
How long Cauliflower Leaf Powder can be stored on the kitchen shelf?
Cauliflower leaf powder is dry (looks like kasurimethi) containing a negligible amount of moisture and thus, it can be stored for a long time (around 3 months) without refrigeration. It should be kept in an air-tight container in a cool and dry place.
If you kept this homemade cauliflower leaf powder in the refrigerator, you can also store the leaf powder for a longer time.
Cauliflower Leaf Powder (CLP) is ideal for –
CLP can be incorporated into any day-to-day recipe to improve the overall health and nutritional status of the family members. It is especially good for the–
- Diabetics as it contains moderate carbohydrate with high protein and fiber content
- Cardiac patients as it is low fat, high fiber foodstuff
- Anyone who suffers from constipation because it is rich in fiber which will help to clear the bowel.
- Anaemic person as the cauliflower leaf is a very good source of iron. (1) Don’t forget to drink fresh lemon water after the meal to ensure better absorption of your iron.
- People suffering from vitamin A deficiency. Consume the power regularly and add a spoonful of ghee with lunch or dinner for better absorption.
- Vegetarians as it is a good plant source of energy and macronutrients.
How can you use cauliflower leaf powder to cure & prevent anemia –
It is very easy for you. You can use cauliflower leaf powder in various items in the following ways-
- Dal/Sabji – add cauliflower leaf powder during the boiling of dal/Sabji. Around 2 teaspoons (10g) of leaf powder should be used to prepare 100g of dal or sabji.
- Masala paratha – should mix the leaf powder along with the atta or maida to make dough for preparing masala paratha or kachuri.
- Dosa – can mix leaf powder with the dosa batter and prepare a more nutritious dosa for your kids.
- Chana/Choley – can use an equal amount of leaf powder and chana masala in your chana/chole/ ghugni.
- Boda/Bonda – the preparation of any type of boda or chop, you can easily utilize leaf powder to serve a more nutritious boda for your family members.
Advantage of home-made cauliflower leaf powder over the commercial nutritional supplement
- It’s pure and best in quality
- Doesn’t contain any artificial color, flavor or preservatives
- Introduce a new taste to your daily cooking
- Enhance the nutritive value of your recipes.
- It’s almost free perhaps best quality nutritional supplement
Free stuff is not always poor in quality. Cauliflower leaves are the best possible example of that. Before cauliflower leaves get the “superfood” label and start selling at a high price, start saving them to boost your iron level. Follow this cauliflower leaves recipe to cure and prevent anemia. Don’t forget to drink a glass of fresh lemon water after your meal or chew fresh amla for better absorption of iron. Stay close to nature, go for seasonal and local foods as much as possible. Your health is not something only available in expensive health stores rather it’s in your kitchen. Be mindful.