Raw mango is a commonly consumed fruit used in several tasteful recipes but its peel iskitchen waste. Mango peel is a healthy and tasty edible fruit that is rich in vitamin-C, antioxidants and dietary fibre.
Today, I like to share a tasty and crunchy sweet snack recipe made up of only a few easily available kitchen ingredients. Don’t worry, its do not take too much time from your busy schedule.
- Mango peels: 100g
- Jaggery: 50g
- Salt: 1 teaspoon
- Turmeric powder: 1 teaspoon
- Lemon juice: 1 teaspoon
- Peel off the raw mangoes with a thick layer. Cut the mango peels into small pieces.
- Marinate the peels with salt and turmeric powder and spread it over a plate in a thin layer. Keep the peels under direct sunlight. Sun-dry the peels for at least one hour.
- Heat a shallow kodai, add 1/4th cup of water and the required amount of jaggery. Melt the jaggery and prepare a thick syrup.
- Now add the sun-dried mango peels to the jaggery syrup. Cook for a few minutes.
- When a desired semi-solid consistency is obtained, add a teaspoon of lemon juice and mix well. Now switch off the gas.
- Grease a steel plate with ghee. Spread the cooked raw mango peels over it and make a uniform layer. Cool it for 15 minutes at room temperature.
- Cut the mango peel chikki layer into small diamond shaped pieces. Your healthy and tasty mango peel chikki is ready.
- Store the mango peel chikki in an air-tight container.
Points to remember
- Don’t add extra water during cooking.
- Cook the recipe at low flame.
- Stir occasionally to avoid the risk of any type of burning.
Preparation Time: 60 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
How to store mango peel chiki?
Store the mango peelchikki in an air-tight glass bottle. Glass container is safe and aninert container which is traditionally used to preserve all types of pickles.
You may safely preserve the mango peel chikki at room temperature without the fear of spoilage. No need for refrigeration.
What is the Shelf life of mango peel chiki?
You may preserve the chikki for 2 to 3 months.You may increase the shelf life of mango peel chikki by exposing the glass bottles under direct sunlight for at least one hour everyday.
How to serve mango peel chiki?
Serve the mango peel chikki during snack time. You may also take it after meals like after lunch or dinner. It will help you to satisfy your craving for a sweet item after meals.
Health Benefits of Mango Peels Chiki
- Mango peel is an excellent source of antioxidants. (1) It is a good source of carotenoids and polyphenols, vitamin E, and vitamin C. (2) It is a well-known fact that regular intake of a diet rich in antioxidants help to prevent several types of age-related diseases like diabetes, cardiac diseases, etc. (3)
- It is also a rich source of dietary fiber. It contains both soluble fiber and insoluble fiber. (4) Regular intake of adequate dietary fiber helps to prevent many diseases like obesity, diabetes, heart diseases, etc.
- Since mango peel is a good source of both iron and vitamin-C, it is good food for anemic patients. (5) (6)
- It is a good source of zinc.(7) Zinc is necessary for the growth of children. It is also essential for maintaining good immunity. (8)
- Mango peel has certain anti-inflammatory properties, which plays a beneficial role in the prevention of many diseases. (10)
- It has certain antibacterial properties. So, mango peel helps to improve general health and boost immunity (9)
Raw mango is commonly used fruit that is utilized to prepare different types of recipes but we are throwing the mango peels in most of the time. Mango peels have a good taste and flavor which should be utilized.
Raw mango peels are not only rich sources of several antioxidants but also a good source of dietary fiber. It has many medicinal properties. It also has many health benefits. So, guys, don’t discard the peels, rather utilize them to make healthy and tasty pickle.