Do you have an orange at home? Please don’t waste the peels of orange, rather utilize it to prepare beautiful orange peel candies. It is a very easy recipe. My little girl is happy to take it. She told me “Yea, it is so yummy”. During the country’s locked down period, kids feel bored and they like to explore more and new things. You may surprise your kids by serving this beautiful recipe.
Orange peel is a highly nutritious food and rich in phytochemicals. They contain an appreciable amount of fat and ash, especially when compared to the value in the juice. (1)
These home-made candies are rich in antioxidants and dietary fibre.
- Peels of 3 oranges
- Sugar (1/2 cup)
- Salt (a pinch)
- Black pepper (a pinch)
Method of Preparation
- Cut the orange peels in small strips.
- Boil water
- Add orange peel strips in boiling water
- Boil for 5-7 minutes and discard the water, repeat the process for 2-3 times. This is required to remove the bitterness of the peels.
- Prepare a concentrated sugar syrup, by boiling a cup of water with the sugar.
- Add the orange peels to the sugar syrup. Sprinkle salt and pepper. Cook for 25-30 minutes at low flame. Check frequently to avoid burning.
- Take out the peels one by one and place them on a tray. Let them dry. Caution: it will be too hot, so be careful.
- When the peels become dry, switch off the gas, allow cooling the orange peel candies.
- When it becomes cooled, you may sprinkle some powdered sugar on top. Fill a clean glass bottle with orange peel candies. Store these candies in the refrigerator for 7 to 10 days.
Orange peel is a rich source of phytic acid, tannin, and oxalic acids. So, you should take a spoon of orange peel candies along with your meal or snack. Don’t consume these candies in large amounts. (2,3)