Are you the one who seeks for sweets after every meal? Lockdown is on and probably going to get extended. Therefore there is absolutely no chance of getting laddu, Kaju Katli, barfi or chocolate cake from your favorite shops.
Then how to handle this sweet craving? Stocks are limited at home which may not allow baking cake often. Confused? As we suggested earlier, start utilizing your kitchen waste to the fullest. How?
Watermelon is the fruit of the summer. All of us like the red juicy, sweet watermelon. But the interruption caused by the seeds in between enjoying watermelon is disliked by the most. Therefore many prefer getting the seedless variety of watermelon. But in reality, these seeds are highly nutritious. Try making watermelon seeds chiki to satisfy your sweet tooth. (1)
Watermelon seeds are rich sources of protein and fat. They contain minerals like magnesium, potassium, phosphorous, sodium, iron, zinc, manganese and copper. They provide B complex vitamins in our diet. Since the seeds are rich in phytochemicals and antioxidants, they have many medicinal benefits. (1,3)
- Watermelon seeds: 40
- Coconut slices: 30g
- Jaggery: 30g
Method of Preparation
- Remove the brown outer coating of the watermelon seeds. Yes, it is the time-taking steps. If you want to skip this, then get dehulled watermelon seeds or charmagaz when you plan your next grocery shopping.
- Boil water and dissolve the jaggery.
- Filter the jaggery syrup and discard the dirt (if any)
- Add the watermelon seeds and coconut slices to the jaggery, cook at low flame for 10 minutes with constant stirring.
- When the mass turns semi-solid, remove it from the oven.
- Grease a steel plate with little ghee/oil, eventually spread the cooked mixture, and cut the total mass into small pieces using a knife.
- Separate the small pieces of chiki and keep them in an air-tight container.
- You can store the chiki at your kitchen shelf for 7 days or in the refrigerator for 15 days.
The nutritive value of the chiki is calculated based on the values mentioned in “Nutritive Value of Indian Foods by C Gopalan”.
- The chiki is a high-calorie food rich in carbohydrates, fats, and protein. So, it is a good snack for growing kids, adolescent boys, and girls.
- It is a good choice of food for those suffering from constipation because it is a rich source of fiber.
- Watermelon seeds are good sources of antioxidants. Regular consumption of the seeds may reduce the risk of getting cardiovascular diseases and cancers and many other diseases. (1)
- It is scientifically proven that the watermelon seeds help to treat gastric ulcers, so it is good for those suffering from gastric or peptic ulcers.
- This chiki is a choice of food for those suffering from hyperacidity. (2)