PCOS/PCOD is associated with Irregular menstrual cycles, abnormal hair growth or loss, abdominal obesity, elevated insulin levels, elevated testosterone levels, polycystic ovaries, dark patches on the skin of the neck, arms, breasts or thighs, acne, and infertility. Improving diet and exercise programs by making lifestyle changes may reduce your risk for developing chronic diseases associated with PCOS such as Diabetes, heart diseases, and endometrial cancer. PCOD arises due to hormonal imbalances.
To bring balance in hormones one should regulate their Diet, Hydration, Exercise, Sleep, and Stress. Coming to diet one must see that your body is nourished with all Macro and Micronutrients in every meal. Snacking is the most important factor in our daily diet. Here are Simple & Instant Indian Ready To Eat Snack options for people struggling with PCOD/PCOS. Instant ready to eat snacks means you have to just pick them from the box and eat it. These are very Convenient and Satiating snacks for Working Women, Students, House Wives, and everyone at home.
General Diet Tips For PCOD/PCOS :
- Include whole grains, Fruits, Vegetables, Beans, Legumes, Nuts, Seeds, Lean Meats, Fish, Healthy Fats, Probiotics should be eaten daily.
- Exclude simple carbs usually present in packages and processed foods like Maggie, Biscuits, frozen french fries, etc, refined oils, refined grains & their products like Maida, Deep-fried foods.
- Limit Salt Intake. Use Lemons, herbs, and spices to season foods instead of table salt.
INSTANT SNACK IDEA 1: SPICY MURMURA/PUFFED RICE
Puffed Rice or Murmura is an instant snack on itself. To bring an interesting twist make this healthy version snack, which you can munch on instantly. This is Gluten Free and Vegan Friendly snack.
- Take a heavy bottom pan on a medium flame and add 2 tablespoons of oil ( Coconut/ Sesame/Mustard).
- Add 2 tablespoon of roasted Chana dal/ roasted split gram dal and 1 teaspoon of Mustard seeds,1 dried red chili, and a pinch of hing.
- Add few curry leaves, half teaspoon of turmeric and half teaspoon red chili powder (optional).
- Now add 3 cups of Puffed Rice/Murmura and half teaspoon salt. Then, add half a teaspoon of sugar.
- Sauté the mixture for 2-3 minutes till the spices get well coated to puffed rice.
- Dry roast peanuts till they become crunchy. Add the roasted peanuts to the mixture.
- Let it cool completely then, store in an airtight container.
SNACK IDEA 2: JOWAR FLAKES CHIVDA
Jowar flakes or Sorghum flakes are made up of Sorghum millets. It is the most popular snack in Karnataka and Telangana. Jowar flakes are high in protein. It is a Gluten-free and Vegan-friendly snack. It is good to include a variety of grains in our daily diet. Instead of rice or wheat in all 3 meals and snacks , try millets in your snack or your meal for a healthier option. It is easily available online or in local grocery stores.
- Take a heavy bottom Pan on a medium flame, add 1 tablespoon of coconut oil. Add 1/4 teaspoon of mustard seeds and 1/4 teaspoon of urad dal (skinned black gram).
- As the mustard seeds splutter, add 1/4th cup of almonds and 1/4 cup of Cashew Nuts and roast them till they become crunchy.
- Add curry leaves and saute it to crisp.
- Now add a pinch of hing, turmeric, chili powder, and salt.
- Add 3 cups of Jowar flakes and mix well until the spices get coated well to the flakes.
- Add 1 teaspoon of dry roasted or raw melon and sesame seeds each in the mixture.
- Let the mixture cool down completely and store it in an airtight container.
This mixture will be crispier than the regular rice/wheat flakes.
You can add seeds and nuts of your interest like peanuts, sunflower seeds, etc.
Dried coconut flakes can be added if you like while roasting the nuts.
INSTANT SNACK IDEA 3: ROASTED MAKHANA
Makhana/ Phool Makhana/ Lotus seeds are popular snack during fastings. It is a good source of carbohydrates, protein, calcium, iron, thiamine, and zinc. It is neutral in taste and can be spiced up to make a healthy and tasty snack. It is a great gluten-free snack.
• Heat 1 teaspoon of Ghee in a Kadai or pan
• Now add 3 cups of Makhana and saute it in a low flame for 10-12 minutes.
• Makhana will turn crispy and crunchy.
• Now add rock salt (as per taste) and give a quick mix.
• Turn off the flame and 1 teaspoon of chaat masala.
• Let it cool down completely before transferring in an airtight container.
INSTANT SNACK IDEA 4: ROASTED KALA CHANA/GRAM
Roasted chana/ black chickpeas are one of the oldest Indian instant snacks passed on to generation to generation. It is protein and fiber-rich loaded with many minerals and folate. Roasted chana is easily available in Indian grocery shops. Please check for the authenticity of the pack before buying it. It is a Gluten-free & Diary free snack option.
You can easily make it at home, Simply take the whole chana, along with the husk, and put it in a pan with hot salt. mix well for a few minutes until it becomes crispy or brown. Sieve the roasted gram from the salt. Store it after it gets cool completely. You can have it as it is or eat with a small piece of jaggery for instant energy.
INSTANT SNACK IDEA 5: HOME MADE POPCORN
Popcorn is made by popping the corn kernels. Corn kernels have a small amount of moisture in the center which gets expanded when heated finally making the kernel to explode, which is called as POPCORN. Homemade popcorns are a rich source of Fiber, Minerals, Vitamins, and Polyphenols. It is a very tasty and healthy snack loved by everyone. It is a gluten-free and vegan-friendly Snack.
Making homemade popcorn is very easy and fun once you know the correct technique. Trust me it is a great stress buster 🙂 Instead of buying microwave-ready to make popcorns from outside try making it at home from scratch.
• Take a heavy bottom pan. Switch on the flame and add 3 tablespoons of coconut oil or extra virgin olive oil in it.
• Add 4-5 good quality corn kernels once the oil gets heated.
• When they start spluttering , add the rest of the corn kernels. Arrange the kernels in the same layer. Cover it with a lid and switch off the flame. This brings all the corn kernels at the same temperature.
• Count 30 seconds loudly then open the lid and switch on the flame.
• All the kernels start popping at the same time. Now close the lid with a slightly opened in the side to let the steam escape.
• Once the popping of kernels get reduced switch off the flame and immediately dump the popcorns in a bowl. You can add salt and dhania powder. Transfer it to an airtight container once it gets cooled.
INSTANT SNACK IDEA 6: HEALTHY TRAIL MIX
Trail mix is the healthy snack with a mix of various Seeds and Nuts which you can munch on wherever you are. They are a good source of protein, vitamins, Minerals, Anti Oxidants, and Healthy Fats. Avoid buying the nuts from outside as they will have added sugars, salts, and preservatives.
• Buy the Nuts, Dry Fruits, and Seeds in the wholesale from an authentic seller.
• In a wide bowl takes one and a half cups of raw nuts like almonds, Pecans, Cashews, and walnuts. Add Raisins and dried cherries.
• Add 1 cup of raw seeds like sunflower seeds and Pumpkin Seeds.
• 1/4 teaspoon of rock salt, 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon powder, and a pinch of nutmeg powder.
• Combine all the ingredients and mix well.
• Store it in an airtight container.
• You can add 1/2 cup of 82% dark chocolate chopped (optional).
• 2 teaspoon of the trail mix is safe to consume per day.
INSTANT SNACK IDEA 7: CHOCO CHIP OATS MUFFIN
This is a perfect recipe for someone who has a sweet tooth and health-conscious at the same time.
• In a bowl add one and a half cup of Oats Flour, 1 tablespoon peanut butter (unsweetened), 1 teaspoon Cinnamon Powder, 1 teaspoon Baking Soda, 2 tablespoon Coconut Oil, 2 tablespoon honey, 1 teaspoon Vanilla extract, 1/4 cup of Milk, 1 Egg, 1/3 Choco Chip, Pinch of Salt.
• Mix well to form a cake batter consistency.
• Preheat the oven for 5 min at 180 degrees centigrade.
• Place the paper muffin cups in a muffin mould and pour the batter.
• Now place the muffin mould in the oven and let it bake for 15 minutes at 180 degrees.
• For vegetarians instead of egg add 1 tablespoon of ground flaxseed and 3 tablespoons of water, whisk it well. Then add it to the cake mix.
• One Chocochip muffin with evening tea is refreshing.
INSTANT SNACK IDEA 8: RAGI AND JAGGERY LADOOS
Ragi is one of the healthiest millet grown in Southern India and some parts of Northern India. It is a good source of Carbohydrates, Amino Acids, Calcium, Fiber, Vitamin D, and many minerals.
• Take 1.5 cups of Ragi Flour in Kadai or thick bottom Vessel.
• Keep the pan in the sim and roast the ragi flour until the raw smell goes. Stir continuously for even roasting of the flour.
• It takes about 6-8 minutes to roast the ragi flour completely. It changes color and turns aromatic.
• Add 1/3 rd cup of ghee to the flour.
• Mix this for another 6 minutes.
• Switch off the flame and add half teaspoon of cinnamon powder & a Half cup of Jaggery powder.
• Grease the hands with ghee and start rolling the laddoos.
• These laddoos will be good for a week at room temperature.
• If it is too humid refrigerate them for a week.
INSTANT SNACK IDEA 9: A WHOLE FRUIT
Fruits are the best anti-inflammatory rich foods for reducing PCOD and its symptoms. Buy Seasonal and Local fresh fruits available near you. Keep the fruits on the table or top of the counter of the kitchen rather than in the refrigerator. This will make you eat them frequently. Have a whole fruit after washing it thoroughly. This will fill your tummy instantly due to its high fiber and energize you instantly.
Blue Berries, Straw Berries, Rasp Berries, Papaya, Apples, Pears, Guava, Pomegranate, Water Melons, and Musk melons are good to cure PCOD. Pick up any seasonal and local fruits available around you.
Do not eat fruit immediately after or with a meal. Eat them after 1 hour of a meal or on an empty stomach for better absorption. Do not have it with tea or coffee as it nullifies the nutrient value of the fruit.
INSTANT SNACK IDEA 10: MIXED SEEDS CHIKKI
Mixed seeds chikki is healthy and delicious Indian Style Energy Bars.
• In a pan dry roast the sesame seeds, pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds for 2-3 minutes and set aside.
• In a heavy bottom, pan adds jaggery and start cooking on low to medium heat until it melts.
• Once melted let it cook on low until it starts bubbling for 10 minutes. Check the consistency by dropping it in a bowl of water. If it forms a ball then it is done.
• Remove from heat and add sesame, pumpkin, and sunflower seeds along with peanuts. Stir quickly until combined.
• Transfer the mixture to a greased plate or chopping board.
• Grease the rolling pin with ghee and start spreading the mixture into an even layer of desired thickness.
• Let it cool for 5 minutes and then cut out desired shapes of the chikki.
• Store in an airtight container.
• 1 chikki per day is very good to overcome PCOD symptoms.
Points to remember before Snacking
1. Portion control is a very crucial point when it comes to a meal or a snack. Do not overindulge even if they are healthy snacks. A small bowl Murmura or Chivda or one chikki or one whole fruit is perfect to have at a time as a snack.
2. Select 3-4 Snack options from the above list for a week. Do the grocery shopping accordingly and dedicate half-day for preparing them at home. Meal planning and Grocery list planning for a week ( weekends) will help to manage your time on weekdays. Dedicate half-day for preparing these snacks on Saturday or Sunday to relish it for the next week.
3. All the snack options shared are very good for the whole family members.
4. Try to have variations in snacks for example oats muffin is healthy but if you consume it every day it may not be healthy so have one muffin weekly twice or thrice with your evening tea at 5 P.M. Try to rotate the snacks every week to get all the nutrients.
5. The ideal time for snacking 11 A.M (mid-morning) and 4 P.M – 5 P.M ( evening)
6. Store all the snacks in non-plastic containers. Steel and glass jars are the safest containers for storing snacks.
7. Try to make all the snacks at home from scratch instead of buying the ready-made one.
Happy Munching and Guilt-free Snacking!!!